Spring Term Programme
Programme includes activities, tips for success and entrepreneurial ideas.
**Please remember you can adapt the programme to suit all ages and abilities**
Tasks this term…
||1 – Seed sowing – ornamental flowers, herbs and vegetable plants
- Seeds to be sown in pots and trays in classrooms
- To be transplanted as necessary and potted up
- To be sold by pupils.
||2 – Growing potatoes – either outside in the school garden, or in pots where no open ground is available.
- Potatoes to be chitted in February
- Potatoes to be planted in the ground/pots just before Easter holidays
||3 – Soil preparation – where appropriate, ground to be prepared for growing flowers, herbs and vegetables
- Ground to be dug or, if No-dig system to be used, covered up to kill off any existing growth.
- Fertility material (garden compost or leafmould) to be spread over the potential growing area /planting
- Fertility material to be turned/raked in
- Some sections of the ground to be covered with plastic/horticultural fleece to warm up prior to sowing
- Seeds to be sown, ready for selling on as packs of transplants
- Plants for cropping later, to be planted at the correct time
||4 – General activities – maintenance and care of growing seedlings
- Seedlings to be watered as needed
- Seedlings to be pricked out and potted up as needed
- Preparation of school plot (where possible)
- Preparation of plant pots for potting on plants, growing potatoes
- Management of plants during Easter holidays
- Lifting roots of suitable plants for potting up/ growing on into sellable plants